Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It takes how long?

I had an interview in Seven Hills today, and with my sense of direction -- which is very, very bad -- I figured it couldn't hurt to map where I was going before plugging the address into the GPS in the car.

So imagine my surprise when Google maps told me it would take more than 55 days to get there.

This is because the Seven Hills I wanted was not the one Google maps found.

The best part of the directions? When I was told to kayak across the Pacific Ocean. Three times. I'm curious as to how they determine how long it will take me to do that without knowing my arm strength. Or my ability to kayak a straight line.

The string of directions in Japanese was a close second in the amusement factor.

Then, I started looking for directions to other foreign lands. But Google cannot get me to Tegucigalpa, London, Paris or Madrid. Only Australian suburbs, apparently.

And sad news -- there's no public transportation option available for any of these trips.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Google used to let you get directions to Europe...it would take you to some random wharf in New Hampshire and then tell you to swim the Atlantic Ocean. I'm betting someone tried it and legal made them take the directions down...I believe they used to estimate 29 days to swim the ATL ocean

Chrys said...

omg that is amazing!!!

Lauryn said...

Laughing so hard. I appreciate that most of the roads in Japan are toll roads. Good luck carrying that much change in your kayak.

Danny said...

It doesn't make any sense to me that when traveling from Hiroshima to Atlanta, you enter the USA through Washington state, following Hawaii. Wouldn't it be more efficient to land in SoCal? Who writes these things?

Arielle said...

I tried to drag the route down, too, to avoid going across the Canadian border (ish) -- it let me drag it, but took me right back up there. I guess it's like the random wharf in New Hampshire -- that's just where they know how to get you there from.