Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Princess Kay

The New York Times had a story a couple weeks ago about Princess Kay of the Milky Way, the annual competition for dairy promotion at the Minnesota State Fair. 

Each year, the competition is capped by a sculptor carving a 90-pound butter bust of each contestant. The show must go on, so even though the fair os off, the carving must continue. They'll do it via Facebook Live starting tomorrow. You can bet I marked my calendar. 

I went on the Facebook page tonight to see the details and ended up watching the coronation. It was otherworldly. College students in gowns, wearing masks, talking about their love for dairy farming. There were videos with family members wearing matching shirts, terrible puns and beauty-pageant-like questions related to farms.

It made my night. I can't wait for a week's worth of butter carving. 

No comments: