Friday, September 4, 2020

Here, kitty, kitty

I visited a friend on her porch last night, and was surprised when a cat greeted me as I pulled into the driveway. She's always been a dog person, but it had been six months, and maybe she'd added a pet.

The cat was friendly and followed me into the backyard. It hung around after I slipped and fell in the mud. (That's a different story, but it's been so long since I fell in the mud! There was something weirdly nice about that, too!) And it walked up the stairs with me to the porch.

It did not belong to my friend.

But for the whole two and a half hours I was there, it made itself at home. It leaped on the chairs, the table, each of us. It challenged her dog, who had come to the door to see what was happening. It strutted along railings and went after some bugs. It was the most self-assured cat I've ever seen.

And when it was time for me to leave, the cat followed down the stairs. I had to lure it out the gate. It scampered among the rosemary as I picked some on my way out. My friend joked that it was going to follow me in to my car, but I made a (mud-covered) run for it. The cat was nonchalant, and meandered away, to the next house.

I'm not an animal person at all, but it was really sweet and soft and friendly. If it had jumped in the car after me, I would have been hard-pressed to kick it out.

No comments: