Sunday, June 21, 2020

Mr. Mac

I learned today that one of my favorite high school teachers died. I had him for at least three classes, and my siblings had him, too. He came to know my family, and he was a sort of legend, at least to me. A jolly Santa Claus-type, with a glass eye and a booming voice, he always had a story (or several) to regale you with. I still remember one about belly dancing and driving during an Atlanta ice storm, and tales of Alaska. He offered to chauffeur students to their weddings in a fancy car.

I was glad to see that we corresponded a little after I graduated. It's been many years, but I have a couple emails in my mailbox. And I learned a little more about him in his obituary -- he liked trains, and had a collection.

I don't know that I ever would have managed to reach out again. But I'm glad to be thinking of him. He had an impact, and his presence in the world will be missed.

No comments: