Monday, March 23, 2009

Limbo is the new Hell

There's a thread on the Grad Cafe dedicated to the creative expression of the pain of waiting for grad school acceptance letters through haikus (whew! Did that make sense?). First, asking members of the forum to compose haikus on such a topic is utterly wonderful in itself. Second, someone posted this haiku:

One letter today
Never been so sad to see
Grandma's birthday card

I know it's really quite tragic, but I can't help but take a disturbing, sadistic pleasure in that hopeful grad student's situation -- maybe because I know so well the disappointment therein. (And I know at least 2 other people on here who can also identify with this whole process!)

On an unrelated note, the latest episode of Dollhouse featured a song by Greg Laswell. Although this is not that song, I have to post it because I can't help but feel warm and hopeful and comforted when I listen to it; it's an assertion of the goodness in people (even though really, it boils down be to a simple love song). Listen to it, focus on the lyrics, and I dare you to disagree with me.

No comments: