Monday, January 5, 2009

The dude abides

I had a visitor from the cable company tonight when my phone rang. I answered to say I would call back "after the cable dude left." The cable dude, who was 20, was very amused and giggled a little at the word dude.

He then stayed for an hour (waiting for the TV to go through the motions and fix itself) and told me all about his day (the guy who offered him expensive pot because he was new to the area and wanted friends, but cable dude isn't much of a smoker), the time he accidentally got latex paint all over his hands and couldn't get it out, what video games he plays (Halo, World of Warcraft, I zoned out), why squirrels chew up the cable lines (it's good for teeth-sharpening), what he'd do with a gigantic paycheck and no living expenses. The nice mix of weird and normal people he meets on the job. How he's never actually done the thing he came to do before, so it's a good thing I knew how to do it (I just needed him to provide the equipment).

He plopped down on the couch, had a glass of water. All in all, it was the most entertaining visit I've ever had from the cable company.

No comments: