Saturday, January 31, 2009

I'm a hero?

Tonight I saw Dar Williams perform at the Georgia Theater in Athens, GA. I was quite possibly her biggest fan there, with maaaaybe the exception of a couple of 19-ish-year old girls up front. But regardless, after playing a couple of songs from her latest album, the rest of the band departed from the stage, leaving her alone with her guitar and asking for requests. Someone shouted, "As Cool As I Am!" So she began. Midway through the first verse, she faltered, paused.... she forgot the lyrics. She laughed nervously and apologized, the audience laughed, she hummed/sang the first lines again in fast-forward, trying to pick it back up.... Still couldn't.... so I shouted them to her, "So I watched the way." She perked up and threw her hands towards me, fingers outstretched, and said, "Yes! Thank you!" And continued with the song, flawless.
After the performance, I met her by the merchandise stand. As I approached, she saw me and shouted, "You!" She said I saved her up there: she said she was completely blanking on the words, getting HORRIBLY embarrassed, and the aforementioned girls were trying to help but giving her the wrong lyrics (which I guess doesn't make them the biggest fans after all?)..... and then she heard me call out above them, and.... Yup. So anyway, we chatted some, she said "thank you" several more times and made sure I got a free t-shirt, I got a photograph taken with her, she signed a CD I had purchased, and I left. Grinning. Ecstatically.
Coolest. Concert. Ever.

2 comments:

bek said...

That song has been in my head for ages. I'm jealous that you got to see her live, and congrats on your heroics! :)

Arielle said...

That's AMAZING! Amazing, I say!
Quadruple high five and many squees!