Friday, January 23, 2009

Like a Child in a Candy Store.

I feel that I have been spoiled.  I have been a student... well.. most of my life.  And most of my friends will tell you that I am CRAZY and want to GO BACK.

I was recently lamenting the crappiness that are the Wake County and Durham County public libraries.  Functional websites? Yes  Multiple Branches.  Yes.  Ok, so they beat the Newmarket Library by Leaps and bounds.  But you try to find a book about children of alcoholics published since 1985?  Shoot, you try to find a book about children of alcoholics that isn't a memoir/story... and you can not.

Where, oh where, have my university libraries gone?!?!  Carrying titles such as Working with Children of Alocholics:  A practitioner's handbook, and The Forgotten Children; A Study of Children with Alcoholic Parents.  What?!?!  Books that may be useful?!?!?  books that are STUDIES !?!?!  Books that address the topic I am trying to find that were NOT published by a 12-step program!?!?!?  H-E-A-V-E-N, thy name is Duke!  (though admittedly the study is old.)

Okay, Okay, I guess I will just have to put in some quality time at the Duke Library since I can't check out books.

Way-Oh!  What do you say person on the other side of the IM box embedded into the library website page that allows me to talk to a librarian real time without bothering to call??  I Can get a Duke Library Card?  For an Annual Fee of $50!!!  Oh Em Gee, Guise!  I am going to get one today! I am WAY TOO EXCITED for my own good.  Watch for pics of me with my library card posted to my facebook.  No.  I am not kidding.  I don't think.


2 comments:

Danny said...

I completely understand the way you feel. I never want to leave academia for several reasons, a primary one being that there's SO MUCH information and knowledge!! Anything you would ever need to know about, right at your fingertips, access to online journals, unpublished dissertations, anything! It's wonderful!

Arielle said...

After graduating, I "borrowed" the ID number of a friend who was a freshman my senior year so I would have three more years of access to the online journals :)