Sunday, October 19, 2008

Komodo dragons

First of all, the name Komodo dragon is just awesome. And although this situation is really horrifying, I couldn't help but laugh at the lead of this story, from the Wall Street Journal. And the fact that they have an artist's sketch of the lizard.

You can read the whole thing here. The original article was called... When Good Lizards Go Bad: Komodo Dragons Take Violent Turn. More about Komodo dragons here.

KAMPUNG KOMODO, Indonesia -- At least once a week, an unwelcome intruder crawls under a clapboard wall and, forked tongue darting, lumbers its way into Syarif Maulana's classroom.

"Then, everyone screams, there is no more school, and we all run away very fast," says the 10-year-old boy. "We are very afraid."

[_ Komodo dragon]

2 comments:

Danny said...

When I first read your post prior to reading the article, I laughed at the boy's comment. Now I sympathize with the villagers, and I'm angry at the Nature Conservancy.

Arielle said...

Agreed. I think they're definitely going about it wrong, and it's a really, really awful situation. And yet.... when I read those first two paragraphs, I guffawed.

Not that I don't feel bad about that.